Greetings KAAAV Members:
Here are some opportunities for education for the upcoming months.
1. FREE WEBINAR: Volunteer Recognition presented by Volunteer Canada
Topic: Volunteer Recognition: Individual Social Responsibility
Date: Thursday, July 20 at 1pm Eastern Time / 10am Pacific Time (one hour)
Cost: Free - Space is limited so register early to avoid disappointment.
Audience: Nonprofit organizations, volunteer centres, volunteers on the spectrum of engagement.
2. Disabilities Mentoring Day, October 25, 2017
Be part of the change - be a mentor for a person living with a disability. KEYS is partnering with Dolphin Digital Technologies to organize Disabilities Mentoring Day in Kingston again this year. The mentoring day will be held on October 25, 2017 and we are now accepting applications from mentors and mentees:
Mentor application: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DMD2017Kingston (+ promo flyer for mentors attached) Mentee application: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MenteeDMD2017Kingston
Disabilities Mentoring Day facilitates the pairing of job-ready persons with disabilities with companies that utilize the skills they have or are developing through training. The mentees gain insight from practicing professionals around job requirements, jobs duties and tasks and where mentee skill sets are a best fit. The mentees are demonstrating to local employers that it is their ability that counts, not their disability. For the Mentoring organizations, the time spent with the mentees shows businesses examples of the breadth and depth of skills that persons with disabilities offer and is an opportunity to ensure that company policies and facilities are welcoming to all persons.
Goals for Disabilities Mentoring Day:
- To provide mentees access to workplace contacts, environments, skills, & HR process,
- To increase confidence among students and jobseekers with disabilities,
- To enhance internship, co-operative education and employment opportunities for persons with disabilities,
- To dispel employers’ fears about hiring people with disabilities and promote disability confidence,
- To give employers an opportunity to benchmark themselves as being accessible to what is a largely untapped pool of talent as well as a massive consumer market.
More information: http://disabilitiesmentoringday.org/